I’ve been doctoring for sciatica for six months now. It doesn’t seem to be getting better. Where should I go for a second opinion?

Sciatica is a condition involving the nerve, so some people see a neurologist for a second opinion. Others seeking surgery may choose an orthopedic surgeon.

The standard practice for treatment of sciatica involves a minimum of six months of conservative care before considering surgery. Nonsurgical care can range from pain meds to acupuncture to chiropractic care. Physical therapy is also a common way to treat sciatica.

Treatment can be specific once the cause of the problem is identified. Sometimes postural changes contribute to this painful condition. A prolapsed or herniated disc can also lead to sciatica. In both cases, exercises prescribed by the therapist can be helpful.

Inflammation and irritation of the nerve for an unidentified reason may respond best to acupuncture. If spinal alignment is a possible cause, then chiropractic care may be advised.

Work with your doctor to find out what is causing the problem. Ask about the best alternate approach since the problem has not resolved after so much time. It may take awhile to find the right combination of treatment to obtain the relief you seek from your symptoms.