Patient Information Resources

Alpine Physical Therapy
Three Locations
In North, South, and Downtown Missoula
Missoula, MT 59804
Ph: 406-251-2323
Fax: 406-251-2999

Child Orthopedics
Pain Management
Spine - Cervical
Spine - General
Spine - Lumbar
Spine - Thoracic

« Back

What type of doctor does repairs like for a torn tendon?

Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who specialize in operating on the areas of the musculoskeletal system. This includes bones, ligaments (tissue that holds the bones/joints together), tendons (tissue that holds muscle to bone), and muscles.

Surgeons who choose this specialty go through medical school as do other doctors. They then choose to follow a residency (specialization) in orthopedics. Orthopedic surgeons can perform procedures that range from amputating an arm or a leg, to using a tiny camera and surgical instruments to see inside a knee to repair a tear in the knee cartilage.

The surgeons can also specialize within the specialty. This means they can be pediatric orthopedic surgeons, work in sports medicine, focus on reconstruction, or work with patients who have been in accidents, to name a few.


« Back

*Disclaimer:*The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.

All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Mosaic Medical Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Mosaic Medical Group, LLC and used herein by permission.